3.22.2006

Five Places I Will Live When Humanity Has Been Decimated

1. METRO NORTH COMMUTER RAIL TRANSFORMER SHACK, WHITE PLAINS, NY

Cozy, brick, ample shade...a wilderness of smooth stones to calm tense feet. Regular visits from bindlestiffers following the tracks. I'll invite them in and we will enjoy hand-gathered tisanes together.

2. DRAWBRIDGE CONTROL ROOM, PORTLAND, ME

The view of the bay will transport me to a cheery and mythic 1940's of busy little tugboats and friendly-faced bulks of steam, whistling longshoremen in coveralls, brick reds, and more brick reds. I will make long and careful study of the manuals left behind, hoping to raise the old girl up myself. Probably won't work out. Calming sound of a few patched-together motorbikes puttering about at night.

3. COIT TOWER, SAN FRANCISCO, CA

I will gather up some afghans, drape myself in them, and brood at the very top. Will mournfully sing "Lights" to the seals below and mourn the glory that was.

4. SEATTLE PUBLIC LIBRARY, SEATTLE, WA

In the course of a long and fruitful day, I will locate a Rascal with some charge left and ride the ramps. Yes, I might tear up some books...I'm justified after all this time. None of this Burgess Meredith horsehockey for me, though--I'll be sure to put my glasses away in a case!

5. MEXICAN PAVILION, EPCOT CENTER, ORLANDO, FL

Sure, this will be a popular destination for survivors. But my pipian will be better than theirs and thus I will be entitled to this prime piece of real estate.

No comments: